5 Essential Things to Know When Buying New Windows
By: Architectural Visions
- Are your windows ready for replacement? Perform these simple tests: Being careful to remove window treatments before you start, pass a lit candle around the perimeter of your windows on a windy day. If the flame flickers, it’s an indication of enough air infiltration to show window replacement will make a noticeable difference on utility bills and your comfort.
- Other signs you need to start buying new windows include moisture and mildew surrounding the window, and fogging between the panes. Even windows that are only ten years old may be leaky and inefficient as energy standards have improved greatly in the last 5-10 years. A home energy audit can be a good investment before you decide to replace your windows.
- To be sure you are choosing a good window brand: check how long has the company been in business? There are brands, such as Marvin, that have been around for 100 years. Building on experience and having such a solid reputation will go a long way to ensure quality.
- Visit the window brand’s website, check their warranties, and read their reviews.
- Work with an installer who works with a national brand. A local, authorized retailer of an established national brand will be factory trained in the latest and best installation methods and will not void the warranty of the windows with improper labor. Does the installer specialize in windows or are they a jack of all trades?